Text size :
1. The Honourable Chief Justice Dato Seri Paduka Steven Chong together with two senior judicial officers visited the Judiciary of England and Wales and the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom from 27 to 28 February 2023 in London, United Kingdom.
2. During the visit, the Chief Justice called on The Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, The Right Honourable The Lord Burnett of Maldon and The President of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, Lord Reed of Allermuir.
The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Brunei Darussalam exchanging tokens of appreciation with The Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, at the Royal Courts of Justice, London, England, on 27 February 2023
3. Meetings were held with senior judges of the Judiciary of England and Wales as leads for international relations, insolvency, and international training. Visits were also made to the Royal Courts of Justice, the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council and Central Criminal Court of England and Wales (commonly referred to as the Old Bailey).
4. Fruitful discussions were held on areas including judicial cooperation in court administration, continuing judicial education and training, developments in insolvency resolution processes and the modalities of appellate hearings now conducted online by the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council (JCPC), where in Brunei Darussalam parties for civil cases are able to appeal to the JCPC provided that both parties agree beforehand.
5. The visit reaffirms the longstanding, friendly and substantial ties between Brunei Darussalam and the United Kingdom. Judicial cooperation is a valued area of partnership between the two countries and through its shared common law heritage, aims to promote an efficient, effective and fair system of justice that is committed to the Rule of Law.
6. Speaking of his visit, the Chief Justice wished to express his gratitude to the Judicial Office for the generous and kind reception that was extended to the delegation and to the British High Commission in Brunei Darussalam for their support in making the meetings and visits possible.
© Copyright 2012 - 2019 Prime Minister's Office. All Right Reserved.
Powered by IT and E-Government, Prime Minister's Office, Brunei Darussalam