Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation LinksAbout Commercial Court

The Commercial Court is a dedicated avenue for commercial cases and is expected to increase the efficiency in the disposal of commercial cases within the Intermediate Court jurisdiction. With the establishment of the Commercial court, the judiciary aims to improve the business environment with speedier resolutions, fostering innovation within the judicial process and attract foreign direct investments. A reliable and robust legal system provides assurance to both local businesses and foreign investors that their cases will be handled efficiently and with utmost professionalism.

The Commercial court became fully operational in February 2016. The first case was registered on the 2nd February 2016 and as of the 23rd November 2016, the court has a record of 155 cases filed. Approximately 70 per cent of the cases filed are suits arising out of breaches under banking and financial services. The remaining 30 per cent deals with disputes under sale and delivery goods, breaches in development projects, breaches in tenancy agreements and sale and purchase of commodities. Out of the 155 cases filed, no appearance and/or defense has been filed in 77 cases resulting in the entry of Judgment in Default of Appearance and/or Judgment in Default of Defence.

With the aim of faster disposal of cases, the court has introduced several new court processes specifically for commercial cases. Significantly, the court has introduced a process called Case Management Conference (CMC). With the CMC, the court will take a more pro-active role in ensuring parties abide by set timelines, narrowing issues, facilitate in the discussions with the aim of an amicable settlement and ensuring that parties comply with court orders and/or directions. Through the CMC, the court also offers parties the option of an alternate dispute resolution in the form of Mediation. Currently, Registrars of the Intermediate Court and Commercial Court are fully trained in conducting mediation with two Registrars registered as accredited mediators under the Singapore Mediation Centre. As mediation is only an option, it will only proceed with the consent of all parties involved in the legal proceedings. To further enhance the capacity of the court officials in this initiative, the court will continue to train judicial officers to become accredited mediators. Commercial cases will also be given priority on early trial dates subject to the availability of court dates.